Thursday, 16 August 2012

"Errr...Darling, there's something I need to tell you..."

What sales patter would it take for you to completely lose your head about something and buy it without thinking? Perhaps "Madam, that looks fabulous on you!" is an irresistible start? How's about "There are only two of those in the world, my dear, and that one is a bargain!"? Maybe the simple "Get it - before it's gone!" does it for you?

And what happens when you've bought the 'thing' that perhaps you ought not to have purchased. Do you ever try the age old avoidance tactic - "What - this old thing? Why, I've had it for absolutely AGES - you just haven't noticed it before!"

Well, I must admit that I am an absolute professional when it comes to the guilt induced "this old thing" line. However, somehow, it doesn't seem to work when the object in question is a piece of furniture that measures 6ft tall by 6ft wide...

You see, about a week ago, I was browsing ebay, when something caught my eye. Now browsing ebay for me is an absolutely essential part of my daily routine. It's as normal as brewing up a cup of Earl Grey, reading through my favourite blogs or letting the dog take me for a walk. I also count myself as a VERY canny ebay user. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that I'm quite a whizz at finding a genuine and worthwhile bargain on ebay, and am certainly not easily seduced...

...However, last week, on the day in question, when that special 'something' caught my eye amongst the otherwise mundane listings, I was completely stopped in my usually steel coated 'streetwise' tracks - (remember, Ladies and Gentlemen, I am originally from South London!), and compelled to investigate further...

What was it - you may ask - that caused such a dent in my self confessed 'super savvy vintage shopper' armour?

It was a listing that said; "Genuine Victorian Dresser - previously used as a prop on the set of Downton Abbey!!!

Well please - tell me - Who on earth could have resisted that delicious slice of temptation?

For those of you who have read my previous posts, my lusting for a kitchen dresser or an open armoire for my family room is a well known 'big' desire. Added to this, my absolute bordering on the fanatical love of Downton Abbey made for a combination that was far too perfect for me to miss.

For the sceptics amongst you (or just those who are chuckling quietly into your screens at my gullibility - as I would be if reading this post about someone else!)the write up did qualify and make absolutely clear, that the television credentials of the dresser could not be officially verified, but to be honest, at that point I cared not. I had already been sucked in and now had the red mist in front of my eyes - the red mist that says "I MUST BEAT ALL OTHER EBAYER'S TO THIS ITEM AT ALL COSTS!" Well, actually, not quite ALL costs. It actually ended up being relatively cheap...considering it's a BAFTA award winning superstar! And for those of you who think that I am utterly bonkers for wanting something, simply because it has been on tv - it is actually quite a beautiful piece of furniture, the perfect age, size and style for the spot, and most importantly - I absolutely LOVE it.

It was delivered yesterday afternoon, and although the top shelves still need to be secured to the wall with brackets, I have had enormous fun playing around with it already!

(The computer won't be staying - far too 21st century - this is just phase 1 of the play around - I'll show you the real finished result once the top is on!)

Ah well. Now if only I could find a way of convincing my husband (away at a vintage car rally) that it has been there all along...sigh!

Enjoy your day!

SHARE:

38 comments

  1. Hi Paula,
    Well done you. I believe it is exactly the same one as in the top right corner of the upright there are some distinctive knots which also show in the on screen shot. You've done good girl! I would like it but how do I fit it on the boat? :-)
    Di
    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's GORGEOUS, Paula. What a great find!!

    One of my tactics is saying that I turned down the opportunity of buying something enormously expensive, and then a couple of days later producing something similar that was an absolute snip!!

    Then spending the difference on boots!! Haha!!!

    ;-)

    Sarahxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great find Paula, well done.
    Wish I was better at eBay!
    I'm sure Mr Sutton won't need too much persuasion that you simply had to have it, once she's dressed and ready for her close up.
    Wishing you lots of happy times with your new addition.
    Have a great day,
    Lizx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does fit EXACTLY in that corner ; don't worry, he won't notice ...x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Mrs Sutton, thank you for visiting me! Your home is lovely, I hope you don't mind but I've just had a good old 'nosey' around! The dresser is beautiful I would love it too! Ada :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paula....It is perfect! Maybe your husband will bring home a vintage car and one will cross out the other. There is nothing like having a bit of leverage;) It truly is a fabulous piece. I do wish you would give me pointers on ebay....it terrifies me. Hugs! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great piece Paula! Maybe your husband won't notice the piece? I've changed the paint color in our dining room tweleve times and the husband has yet to notice that and he walks through it daily. It's really a beautiful piece and I can't wait to see the top part on.

    XX
    Debra~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't worry, your husband might come home with a vintage Austin Martin, so you will be even...sort of! It's a great piece though, great buy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Paula, it's lovely ... I'd have succumbed too! Thanks for popping over to me, it's a shame you missed out on the Jar of Love swap, but just to let you know, there's an autumn themed swap on Blueberry Heart blog, if you're interested?

    Have a lovely time playing with the dresser!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Paula,

    Lucky you to find such a beautiful piece of furniture and used in Downton Abbey!!! If I needed a dresser, I would find this one difficult to resist too!

    When in England I heard the new series is starting again in the autumn. Can't wait for it to start.

    Looking forward to see your cupboard with the top half on. The bottom half looks promising with your beautiful china and the delicious cupcakes!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Goodness, it's awesome, I'd have bought it for sure, well I would have if my house were big enough. That really was a fabulous find :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh it's super! And the added cache of it starring in Downton. Men don't notice when you've had your hair done so you may just get away with it ;-)

    Do come to the Vintage Fair if you can. You would be made sooo welcome!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my that dresser is beautiful! I can't wait to own a proper dresser one day. What a find.
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would not have been able to resist either Paula - it is simply stunning & you must be very excited!

    I wonder what stories it could tell of life at Downton if only it could speak ...

    A wonderful find!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my what a find. I don't think Mr Sutton would mind if you plied him with regular cupcakes. It looks so right in it's new home, it was obviously meant to be. What beautiful china too. Mrs Patmore will be complaining when she notices her dresser missing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh! I'm left slightly breathless by this post! How exciting. I think I would have to instate a blue plaque outside my door telling all and sundry if it was mine! Great eBaying - can't wait to see it when you've finished playing (although in my experience the playing and rearranging never ends!)
    Can't wait for the next season of Downton!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Paula, I think I have great understanding with you, how could you have resisted and I thought I was the only one that attaches themselves to ebay everyday!!! as for the 'this old thing' line I thought that one belonged to me!!! I love it look forward to more photos.
    love Jillx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello, I've just popped over to your bog via Vanessa's and love it (and I've only read the first few posts). We've just moved to the country and I'm completely inspired by your words and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  19. teeheee....oh, you hit the nail on the head with the famous line, "OH, I've had that for years!"

    IT LOOKS LOVELY DEAR PAULA!!!!!!!!!Anita

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW! You lucky girl... i want it! I love Downton Abbey! Spectacular!
    Love Amanda
    Please have a look at my blog(I'm a new blogger)
    www.notsoperfectmess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the way you coerced your husband into going to a Vintage Car Rally in order to sneak that gorgeous elephant into the room.
    Slick work 10 house points.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great find! And I love your styling with cupcakes!!

    Have a great weekend,
    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  23. Paula - Well done, you!! It is a perfect fit. I will have to start checking Ebay more. I stopped for a while....was getting out of control, LoL! BTW, it does look exactly like the one in Downton! Congrats :)
    xo,
    Loi

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello Paula

    What a fabulous piece, who cares if even it made an appearance on Coronation Street,rather than Downton Abbey, it is still an elegant and beautiful piece.

    Looking forward to seeing the upper portion installed.

    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. It is gorgeous Paula! and you were SO right to buy it, if you hadn't it would have always been the piece that got away and you would always regret. When your husband sees how well it looks in your beautiful home he will agree! It fits so well in fact it looks as if its been there forever!!

    Sharon
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful piece of furniture! Congratulations! How I envy you bargain hunters who always come up with treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Paula it is stunning. I can see why you had to have it!
    Ness xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. It was a must...looks stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Tell him it's a trompe l'oeil!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Just read your gorgeous post @ Simone's...and found your lovely blog...now following ;-)
    I love the DRESSER!! Perfect ;-)
    Catherine
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh what a gorgeous dresser!
    love love love downton abbey too
    good luck with your husband!
    love jooles x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Fantastic piece Paula! the dialogue AND the gorgeous dresser! very entertaining, I empathise entirely with 'that old thing!'
    Have a fabulous day!
    Fiona xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Paula,
    Just read your guest post for Simone. What a wonderful read, I enjoyed it so much. My Bother and Sister In Law used to live in a Mews just off the All Saints Road, and I remember it having such a charm.

    I love your posts which are always written with such humour.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is a stunning piece and an absolutely great find! I love its placement in your home and how you've styled it! Your hubby will either not notice or he will love it! Again, what a great score!! XX

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is so fun reading Paula ! :))
    It does not take much imagination to realize that perhaps all women have used one or more of these excuses you mention above, to buy something they have fallen head over heels for. You've are so right, e-bay can be dangerous to your wallet !! There are so many great shops and fabulous pieces, if you have enough space, money and courage, why not ? Sometimes you have luck, sometimes you could be less happy with the purchase. From experience it can be a bit risky to buy something online. With regard to color, size and especially authenticity. But I must say, you made a good buy! Congratulation, wonderful feeling it is to find furnitures that suits perfect for your home.

    ~ Aina ~













    ReplyDelete
  36. It is really beautiful!!! And I love those cupcakes! Have a LOVELY day!!!!

    Kristin :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. LOVE it. Im so glad you're back in the world of BLOG again xxx

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oooo..........its fantastical....and gorgeous.....and I dont blame you for buying it! I would have! ;D
    Karen~xo

    ReplyDelete

© The Hill House Diaries. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig