A Journey From A House To A Home...

Friday, 8 June 2012

Beautifully British...Max Rollitt!

Now firstly, I must apologise for my lack of blog posts since Diamond Jubilee 'fever' took hold of the UK for the past week or so. My life has been filled to bursting with bunting, baking and babysitting - we currently have a house full of eight children all under the age of 12 - and suffice to say that I have baked enough red, white and blue cup cakes over the past week to feed the Queens Household Cavalry several times over!

But it has been an absolutely wonderful and jubilantly patriotic week, which has been thoroughly enjoyed by man and child alike...despite the dreadful weather. Like any extended country house weekend, there has been an abundance of that typically British country weekend fayre of red wine, wet dogs and laughter.

And now I'm slowly creeping back to normal life, reclaiming my computer screen and quietly nosing my way through the websites and designers that keep my home and interiors loving fire burning in a similar way to how oil fuels the Aga...

So here's a very British designer for you - Max Rollitt - whose "classically refined yet informal style" has become his trademark. Now admittedly, I'm delving into the realms of pure fantasy here. Fantasy because the following sofa's are WAY out of my price bracket, however, it is a guilty pleasure of mine to imagine one of Max Rollitt's deliciously upholstered sofa's with their sumptuous damasks and silk velvets supporting my very unworthy derriere.

Max Rollitt whose company covers three distinct areas - antiques, interiors and bespoke design, has an amazing ability to design contemporary furniture based on classical design and to create spaces that look as though they have been handed down through generations and stood for centuries. His use of colour is wildly genius...just look at the turquoise legs on these chairs - LOVE them!

His interior style can be a little bit spare...ADORE these bare, unvarnished floorboards which tone down that incredible chandelier so perfectly!

A little bit bonkers...turquoise AND purple AND pattern - yet all still in keeping with the period setting - gorgeous!

Just the sort of country house interior that I love...such eccentric use of colours and classical shapes!

But what they all share is an informal, time worn yet elegant sense of comfort...

Made for...well...red wine, wet dogs and laughter!

Hope that you enjoy.

Images courtesy of: www.maxrollitt.com

23 comments:

  1. 8 children under 12? You are sooo brave Mrs. S!

    The red sofa is just divine isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! So I had a wonderful time in Norfolk, I can see how you fell in love with it :)

    We went to Holt a couple of times....I spotted my dream house there....and strangely it was called Hill House!!! Please don't tell me it's yours....it crossed my mind, I almost came and knocked on the door!!

    Such a beautiful part of the world though, even when it rained all day Sunday! We'll definitely be back :)

    Happy Week-end! XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! I love this mix of informal and classic. If I could, I would literally eat that dining room for my tea!!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the look, classic country house without the plethora of objects so often associated with country house interiors. The dining room is beautiful and I love the turquoise sofa, Have you seen the home of florist John Carter in this months 'Homes and Gardens' not on the same scale but a gorgeous country look none the less.

    Eight children under twelve running about the place, it is a wonder you have the energy to blog at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After looking after all those children, I think your derrier is more than worthy of such a sofa. Aren't they lovely? I adore the regency striped corner chair things - so elegant and colourful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is what I love about the Brits...having fun with decor and using lots of colour and pattern. Makes you want to live in these spaces...or at least come in for some red wine;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Jubilee celebrations were indeed wonderful, I was quite disappointed when it all came to an end.
    There are some gorgeous pieces featured in this post, I particularly like the yellow sofa.

    ReplyDelete
  8. THIS IS JUST SPLENDID MY DEAR! And I am so glad you are back to blogging! I look forward to getting your lovely book in the post soon. ENJOY THE AFTERGLOW of the Jubilee festivities!!! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely pics and good you are back.

    Have a lovely weekend.
    xoxo Rozmeen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, the Jubilee celebrations were enjoyed in a very British way - stoically and despite the weather!!

    Great looking interiors I'm loving the purple lampshade!

    Jeanne
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful Paula! Merci beaucoup Madame for coming to Paris today!!! Oh but you are JUST RIGHT THERE on the same continent, you lucky one, you!!! Enjoy your weekend my dear and ooooh yes, you Brits have had a wonderfully fun week! I look forward to the book so much. BISOUS! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  12. Always look forward to your blog Paula, great images.
    I love the interiors shots, after initially thinking the sofas looked a bit severe.
    I can see in 'situ' they would be just perfect.
    Half term nearly over? - ha ha!
    I'm sure you all had a brilliant time.
    Have a lovely week.
    Lizx

    ReplyDelete
  13. ...and I am glad to have found yours! (although I fear I have just lost a couple of hours perusing!)
    Thanks for your comments - my mum always disliked that photo because of a huge curl on her forehead. I re-styled it using photoshop and now she's got it framed - 45 years late!
    I'm sure I'm not the only one already in love with your home! And those red stripy chairs with blue legs??? I would design a room for them alone!
    pleased to 'meet' you
    fee x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! That red sofa is just made for divas!!! Love it!
    Feeling so envious of everyone that was in the UK to soak up the Jubilee atmosphere ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The designs are so classic and timeless, they would seem at home in any setting, ultra modern as a statement piece or another fine item in a classic setting! Wonderful.
    Di
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello, Ms. Paula ~

    We miss you...welcome back! Hope you had a great time with all your little guests. Cupcakes.....how yummy :-)

    Love Max Rollitt. His pieces are so classical, sculptural and, just cool!! I would love to have a pair of those clubchairs with the outscrolled backrest and sabre legs---very handsome! They are like artwork.

    Have a great week!!
    Cheers,
    Loi

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Paula, LOVE that first image, the floors are divine. The red sofa is stunning too but would be out of my price range, I can tell just by looking at it!! Sigh, still we can dream!! Hope you're enjoying all the celebrations!!!

    Sharon
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous furniture and equally gorgeous interiors. I love the red and white striped two piecer with turquoise legs, that's the kind of creativity that I like to see in furniture.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  19. That first red sofa and the striped chairs are amazing!
    xo
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a new designer for me, but I really enjoyed the introduction...what lovely work!
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the big chandelier, fabulous!!
    Love Helen

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Paula!
    I always enjoy reading your posts, this one was no exception, thanks for this!
    Maureen
    xx

    and no drawing room for us, one tiny living room is all we have for now, enjoy yours!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, this is beautiful—I especially adore the yellow piece :)

    ReplyDelete