Sunday, 29 August 2010

A Novice in The Garden...

Those of you who are used to living in the countryside, or at least familiar with growing your own fruit and vegetables will no doubt be accustomed to the sight of your own produce making its' way from the branch to the table. But for those of you who, like me, are still quite shocked beyond belief that asparagus doesn't grow pre-tipped and can still get a thrill from using things grown in "MY OWN GARDEN!" - it never ceases to amaze me how wonderful it feels to utilise truly organic and fresh home grown fruits, vegetables and herbs.

Recently, I've been picking apples from the garden to make pies and applesauce - I hope to branch out into chutney and relish soon, and of course the leaves from the rosemary bush are a constant addition to family meals - whatever the recipe. I also have bay leaves, mint, sweet basil, thyme, oregano and rhubarb. Next year, together with my previously mentioned strawberries, I hope to see my newly planted blueberries, although the grapes will take a few more seasons. Here's a picture of my apples and the very unsophisticated and rustic looking apple pie that they turned into.



And this is the just cut rosemary scattered onto our Sunday roast amid a drizzle of honey and a sprinkling of sea salt. Now, admittedly, the pig wasn't ours - that would be a step too far considering I've only just traded in my Manolo's for Hunter Wellies. Not beyond the realms of fantasy however, since my wonderful eighty-something-year-old neighbour Ron, who presents me with a home grown vegetable 'care box' several times a week ("those poor undernourished city folk") is an ex-butcher. He proudly claims that until recently, people would drag their road kill to his door (deer, pheasant and the like - nothing sinister!) to 'sort out' for the larder - "Waste not want not" being his life's philosophy. Despite not having yet made the first rung on the 'ladder of small holdings', I'm all for self sufficiency. After all, that's country living for you. However, call me (home reared) chicken, but I think I'll be sticking to the meat counter at Waitrose for a while yet...
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. isn't it fun - this is why I love country life - for this very thing you have posted about. Happy Harvesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My garden is so small, there are only flowers and herbs in it. You can be very happy.
    Regards! N.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! My blueberry bush has finally bared fruit, only about six! But made me so happy when I saw them this weekend! Have a sweet day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. how i loooove this post!!!
    greetings from Spain

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely to be discovering the joys of gardening as a new pleasure! And the country side too! Well done for the Manolo/Hunter trade in - a good move!
    Thank you for stopping by at My French Country Home and bravo for this new and beautiful blog place.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  6. The apple pie looks delicious, as good as the ones I buy from M&S,I never have been a pastry cook!!! I made an apple crumble the other day with porridge oats and wholemeal flower and it was wonderful, even though I say it myself.

    I don't usually eat beef or pork, more of a white meat eater or fish.

    Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I did a post the other day about a relations French style restaurant in Norfolk but I didn't receive any comments so I deleted it!!

    PS I live a few miles from Chawton, where Jane Austen lived for a while and of course Winchester isn't too far away either where she is buried in the Cathedral.

    Jackie in Surrey.Have become a follower!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks SO much for the lovely comments! Jackie - I'd love to hear about your relatives Norfolk French restaurant - always looking for new places to discover! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Mrs Sutton!
    I've just found your Blog from a comment left on Heather Bullards' site :o)
    Your home looks beautiful, and I'm sure you'll find a lot of pleasure from your garden too.
    I'll certainly be back!
    Best wishes
    Rose H

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi again! Thank you for your sweet comments :o)
    Here's a link for the Apple & Rose Hip Jelly
    http://www.celtnet.org.uk/recipes/miscellaneous/fetch-recipe.php?rid=misc-crab-apple-rosehip-jelly
    I haven't made it yet - but I'll post when I do.
    Regards
    Rose H

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by www.concretejungleblogspot.com....and taking the time to comment...you have such a handsome house and I lust after the stairway and upper stair hall....(one level is lovely but, on the dull side after a bit) I'll keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for stopping by my blog and your sweet comments! I have to say that your home is absolutely a dream! It is so special in every way! I need to see more of it! So, I am off to read more of your wonderful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your posts make me smile, Paula! Your apple pie looks fab - I too get such a kick out of homemade stuff. However, I've only got herbs so far but want to start a veg patch some day!!

    Sharon
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete

© The Hill House Diaries. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig