Monday, 12 July 2010

Cosy Corner


Does every home have a cosy corner? Mine is in the drawing room, where I have my favourite comfy chair. 'She' is a Victorian buttonback that I had re-covered in an Ian Mankin red check around nine years ago, and 'she' holds a special place in my heart. I found 'her' in a dusty old odds and ends antique shop when I was on maternity leave with my first child, and 'she' served at first as a nursing chair. 'She's' now my reading, daydreaming and 'music listening' chair (as far away from the television, playstation, Wii and children's paraphenalia as it can possibly be!) and I still absolutely adore 'her'. In fact I feel quite jealous when anyone else dares to sit in 'her' - irrational I know! Does anyone else harbour jealous thoughts towards a piece of furniture?

However...recently, when contemplating the drawing room, my mind has wandered towards the idea of adding a pair of Georgian style wingback chairs covered in either white or ivory.



Something to add a bit of drama with imposingly high sides and studs!



I feel a bit guilty, because my old button back chair looks so quaint and cosy - so comfy and 'cottagey' compared to these magnificent and imposing creatures...



I'm hoping that, when I eventually find my twin 'dignitaries', they'll live in harmony with my beloved red checked button with 'her' plump curves and cosy pattern ...



But if they look down their noses and cause her any trouble - they'll have me to answer to!
SHARE:

7 comments

  1. Good Morning Mrs Sutton hank you very much for your visit and your very kind words!!!

    Well, all I can say is, I am signing up - Hill House is absolutely gorgeous - to me it is a 'proper' house with the door in the middle! - a perfect mix of country charm an London elegance...And, LOVE your story - so am very keen to see how your country life will develop....!!!!

    Have a lovely day in beautiful Norfolk!!!

    Nx

    p.s. Your lovely chair is indeed VERY lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry - 'and thank you', not hank - sorry, still early.....N

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you 'September Cottage' the blog is so new, so it's lovely to get comments - especially from such a lovely blog as yours!
    X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your kind words - yes, they are lovely, Jack Russells - big dog character in a small body :)! We have been thinking about it for years now....and the time seems right....it is a HUGE commitment, but that is also one of the reasons why we would like a dog - tired of not being at home (work) and really want to settle down now after years and years of being on the go....!

    You will find the right one at the right time too!!!!! I am sure of it!!!!

    Have you had the 'big storm' yet up in Norfolk - it's been quite something earlier - lovely smell now!!!!

    Have a nice evening!


    Nicolax

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mrs Sutton
    Thank you so much for your lovely comments. I will definitely be adding your blog to my favourites. What a lovely house you have, I know Norfolk well, it is a lovely county and I am sure you will enjoy your house and the lovely country around you.
    Jill x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my God I love the red chair and I love your blog, I am from Brazil, come and visit me, we really have lovely designs. I am following you.

    Fer

    ReplyDelete

© The Hill House Diaries. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig